Fastest way to draw geom on Radeon 9700

Hi all. Due to performance requirements that we have on some upcoming software, I’m testing out the possibility of using Radeon 9700 graphics cards.

I have the program mostly working, so now the fun starts.

Basically, my program needs to draw a lot of geometry. The geometry (in the form of triangle strips) is updated once per frame (on the CPU) then drawn 25 (or so) times. A vertex program is enabled, and the only difference between each of the 25 renderings of this geometry is a parameter to the vertex program.

My question is this: What extension(s) should I look into for getting the maximum performance out of a situation like this? I have seen people talking about VAO, but also heard whispers of a different upcoming extension (vertex_array_store or something).

Thanks for the comments

– Zeno

For today GL_ATI_vertex_array_object is the way to go. I hope we’ll see the multivendor extension soon though.

For today GL_ATI_vertex_array_object is the way to go. I hope we’ll see the multivendor extension soon though.

Thanks Humus. I’ll get started with grabbing those extensions.

Nice demos on your web site by the way. I can finally run the mandelbrot and phong shaders They’re SO smooth! I love the new precision.

– Zeno