Errors in FPS games.

Hi. Firstly I was told to contact NVIDIA and now I am being told on the NVIDIA site to contact Gainward instead. I am so confused, but I am adamant that it is a GL problem!

When I run GLQuake I get the error “wglCreateContect Failed”. Quake 2 does not work in GL mode either, it says something like “cannot initialize…” etc, Quake 3, Quake 3 Team Arena, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein say “Q_strncpyz: NULL src”. I am aware this is not a problem with the games as such, as each game utilising OpenGL is causing this error. Unreal Tournament works perfectly however.

The graphics card I am using is a Gainward Geforce fx 5200 with 256 ddr. However only one of my games works and from browsing on the Internet there is no clear-cut workaround for the errors I am receiving.

Apparently, this is what activision say:

Uninstall the video drivers and then reinstall the latest drivers for your video card.

This can also occur if you have dual monitors, disable the other monitor while playing the game. To do this:

1. Right-click on the desktop and select Properties.
  2. Click the Settings tab.
  3. Uncheck the box that indicates you want the desktop extended to the other monitor.
  4. Click Apply and finish the operation.

If you have a VIA chipset mother then go to www.viatech.com and download and install the latest 4 in 1 drivers for your motherboard. If you need help installing these motherboard drivers then contact your motherboard manufacturer.

Perform an uninstall and reinstall of Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

1. Uninstall Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
  2. Delete the game folder.
  3. Reinstall Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

One thing known to cause this error is a missing OpenGL driver. Also if the registry entry for the OpenGL driver is wrong this error will occur.

NOTE: Activision does not provide support for the uninstallation or reinstallation of any driver type. It is recommended that you contact your hardware manufacturer for more assistance.

The paragraph before the “NOTE” looked quite promising, but they don’t go into detail on that bit, which is sod’s law because that is probably the workaround on my machine.

I don’t doubt the capabilities of the graphics card, I just can’t wait to get it working properly. I just wish there wasn’t so much fiddling around just to get my games to work. Can anybody please help?