Error running OPENGL programs

Hi,
I am trying just to run an OpenGL program on XFree86 v4.0.3. I have a GForce 2MX, and I have installed the drivers from the nvidia site into my Mandrake 8.0 installation. The opengl screensavers for KDE work, however, “gears”, “gltron”, or other GL programs just crash (a seg fault with no explanation). I did a “gears - info” and it just crashers after some normal (I believe) ouput. HELP! My aim is to run Half-Life, but right now I’ll settle for “gears”. Any ideas? I do not have MESA openGL installed. I appreciate any help.

Did you do all the instructions NVIDIA has in the readme. Its just a few things; did you do those? I have RH 7.1 and after installing the lastest drivers (geforce256) in RPM format and changing the X config file everything worked.

BTW once you get everything working you might go to www.ebgames.com and do a search for “linux”. They have most of the loki games for $10. I got Q3 arena for that amount.

umm.
you follow exactly waht the readme said?

btw,
you have to get the tar files of nvidia’s site if you run mandrake 8.
the rpm’s shouldn’t work for you…

l8rz

You can also try to disable the AGP driver.

IT WORKS, well, sort of.

I reinstalled Linux to start on a fresh system.  This time I installed the nvidia drivers from the tar files.  At this point I did not install anything else.  
I ran "gears" and it works (1600+fps)!  [img]http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif[/img]   I then ran gltron and it seg faulted again.  "Hmmm,"  I said.  I ran gears again and it seg faulted.  Restarted X and ran gears and it worked!  I ran another game (Maelstron, but dont know if it uses OpenGL.  I couldn't run this game before) and it worked fine.  "Hmmm,"  I said.  The game was running on a window, so I change the setting to run full screen and the game froze.  I could not run gears after that, so I then restarted X again.  

Gears runs again. So I played with the settings on gltron and ran it on window mode. IT WORKED!!! As soon as I try to make it go full screen it crashes. I tried with different resolutions including my default X resolution.
Any ideas on how to fix this? At this point I do not know the difference between the NVIDIA RPM or tar packages, but there should not be a difference.

Thanks for all your help!

Reference:
XFree86 4.0.3
NVIDIA GEForce 2MX with 1251 drivers
AMD Duron 650
256MB memory
More than 2GB of free space

Correction: the other game I used was Chromiun, not Maelstron.
Interesting!!! If I run gltron now it starts in a window. If I try to go full screen it seg faults, but I can still run gears! In Chromiun, once I try to go full window, gears will seg fault, before and after I kill -9 Chromiun. Hmmm! Thought I shoud add that.

i had the same problem with the gears demo crashing when i tried to close it.

the problem i had was that i was getting a lot of “Xlib: SHAPE extension missing” errors, but they were output to the X error logs, so it took me forever to figure it out.

anyway, what worked for me:

Modules

load “glx”
load “extmod”

EndSection

in the /etc/XF86Config file. you’ve probably already added the “glx” part, but the “extmod” part is probably what’s crashing it.

i have the same problem, before i have a TNT2 no problem, after installing the Geforce2 MX, all game that use OpenGL hang.

Originally posted by cfelix:
Hi,
I am trying just to run an OpenGL program on XFree86 v4.0.3. I have a GForce 2MX, and I have installed the drivers from the nvidia site into my Mandrake 8.0 installation. The opengl screensavers for KDE work, however, “gears”, “gltron”, or other GL programs just crash (a seg fault with no explanation). I did a “gears - info” and it just crashers after some normal (I believe) ouput. HELP! My aim is to run Half-Life, but right now I’ll settle for “gears”. Any ideas? I do not have MESA openGL installed. I appreciate any help.

i have the same problem with the redhat7.1 i have found a solution. try to start your system in intlevel3. and lunch the x server manualy. all prog use opengl runs. but i don’t now why !!!

Well, I still have the same old problem. I did added the “Load extmod” (yes, I did remove the extmod subsection) and full screen openGL still crashes. I did start on init 3 and then started X and openGL does not work at all. I used startx to start Xwindows which makes it read the .xsession and start KDE. So, I am back to square 1!!!

Anyone out there now how to fix this problem? I am thinking it might be something in XFree 4.0.3. I am thinking of installing 4.1. HELP!!! :eek:

FOUND A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM.

I got before the RPM for the kernel installation and the tar file for the GLX installation. Now, I got both tar files and installed both packages plus added a
Load “extmod”
to the configuration file and I can finally run openGL in full screen. Unfortunately the game must run at the same resolution as Xwindows. Window mode runs fine.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.