Dynamic Lightmaps

Does anyone here know how to apply lightmaps to textures (or decals)… such as say an impact mark on the wall, or how the corridor illuminates when you fire a rocket down it in quake… Im just looking for an xplaination of how to UV map a decal or lightmap ontop of another polygon to do this technique.

I would recommend using vertex lighting for dynamic lights and lightmaps for static lighting. If you create lightmaps dynamically your processor will get a lot to do, so you will probably have to use a predefined set of lightmaps if you want dynamic lightmapping. And you will have to use a lot of lightmaps to avoid discontinuities in the lighting.

Not a reply, but a question.
About lightmaps, in quake2 i noticed the were useing pregenerated lightmaps for dynamic light flashes (from weapons) as u mentioned. However useing r_speeds 1 in the console it shows 1 lmaps even when i shoot, i’m guessing this is lightmaps although i am unsure.
does anyone know how quake2 uses lightmaps.
thanx

Thr33d

Don’t know how quake is handling this, but i would guess that it has lightmaps for combined dynamic and static lighting too. But it may use multiple rendering passes too.

Quake2, like all the Quake-engine games, uses lightmaps for both static and dynamic lighting. When you see a rocket flying down a corridor the engine is actually rendering the “light ball” into a lightmap and combining it with the static lightmap. Although dynamic lighting is slower, it doesn’t use as much processing as you might think. In Quake (and Quake2 as well I think) each lightmap pixel covers a 16x16 texel region on the destination polygon so, for instance, dynamically lighting a 256x256 area on a polygon would only involve building a 16x16 lightmap - not very arduous for the processor at all, especially given that dynamic lighting in these engines only implement primitive “light-balls” without intensity fall-off or shadows.

Ciao…
SHAYDE

I believe Quake 3 uses a different approach for dynamic lights; it does an extra pass over the affected geometry, with a circular texture projected along the up axis, and the contribution of the spot varied with vertical distance from the lightsource. Fire a rocket down a narrrow corridor in Q3 and you’ll notice that although the light appears as a spot on the floor, it’s a streak wherever it hits a vertical surface.

something like a cylindrical light map…?

Dolo//\ightY