Drivers for linux

I am trying to run open gl programs on linux. I have the glut library but there is no glu.h that glut.h refers to. So I am unable to use glut. if u can point out where i can get the reqd file, i’ll be thankful. tried searching google but got the glut lib and not the glu.h file for linux. Also the glulib is reqd.

Thanx

try put GLUT in google… you will find kilgards page about glut

What distro are you running?You should have glu.h if you have gl.h.If you don’t get the xlibs dev package for your distro.You can also try this although this comes from the Mesa 3.3 source tree.

Just get mesa(mesa3d.sf.net) It comes with everything including drivers for alot of cards.

Ok nukem…You seem to be doing this on purpose…I don’t care if you can’t understand or have something against me but stop confusing people !.I’ll say this one last time:Mesa is just a software renderer so it will be useless to most out there.
From the link you gave above,from the “Systems Supported” section:

The standard Mesa distribution only supports software-based rendering, with the exception of the 3Dfx Glide driver. Information about other hardware support follows.

• DRI-based hardware support for 3dfx, Intel, Matrox, ATI on Linux

The DRI architecture, originally developed by Precision Insight, Inc. uses Mesa and provides hardware acceleration for a number of popular chipsets.

The DRI is part of XFree86 4.0 and later.

If you download and install XFree86 4.x you do not need to install Mesa separately. All the important parts of Mesa will be installed with the rest of XFree86.

I’m really sick and tired of typing this over and over and I don’t want anyone to waste their time with setting up the wrong drivers so stop telling people to just get mesa,… please

[This message has been edited by zen (edited 02-27-2003).]

That is true. And dont forget… if you have a NVIDIA card… download their GLX implementation and drivers at their site. Its is as fast and good as windows one.

Srry for my last post…tought your problem was with glut not glu.

So the correct answer should be… installing NVIDIA drivers(for NVIDIA boards) or with acorrect DRI+ Xfree instalation for other cards

[This message has been edited by OldMan (edited 02-27-2003).]

Originally posted by abhijeet_maharana:
[b]I am trying to run open gl programs on linux. I have the glut library but there is no glu.h that glut.h refers to. So I am unable to use glut. if u can point out where i can get the reqd file, i’ll be thankful. tried searching google but got the glut lib and not the glu.h file for linux. Also the glulib is reqd.

Thanx[/b]

For all,

Thanx for all the feedback. I am using Mandrake 8.2. I have double checked - there is no glu.h in my libs folder. i am a linux newbie and I have no idea about the X11 implementation of OpenGL. I am trying to download the libraries from the links that u have provided. In case of further troubles, I’ll seek your help.

Regards.

[This message has been edited by abhijeet_maharana (edited 02-27-2003).]

zen wrote:
> I’ll say this one last time:Mesa is just a
> software renderer so it will be useless to
> most out there.

Of course, it also forms the core of the DRI hardware OpenGL support.

Note though, that folks using DRI for HW OGL acceleration can’t just download the latest Mesa3D to upgrade – you have to use the one that comes with DRI unless you know the deep magic involved with building the mesa sources correctly for your version of DRI.

Abhijeet, heh, it’s funny – I recall when I was running Mandrake 8.2. Same problem. :slight_smile:

Of course, it also forms the core of the DRI hardware OpenGL support.

No, not the core since that naturally depends on the card.It’s used for the dispatcher and SW fallback path I think but even then the DRI just uses the code with modifications.I doubt the Mesa sources would be of any use even if you did know the deep magic.I mean I doubt it’d be just a matter of replacing some files to update the Mesa part of DRI.

zen replied:

No, not the core since that naturally depends on the card.It’s used for the dispatcher and SW fallback path I think but even then the DRI just uses the code with modifications.

Ohhhh. Thanks zen.

no problem.For more info on DRI/Mesa check out the FAQ on the dri homepage .Especially How does Mesa fit into the DRI? .

Hello everyone, I got my problem solved in the foll way. I ‘upgraded’ to Red Hat Linux 7.1. It came with all the libraries that were missing with Mandrake 8.2. Now my programs run (atleast they compile without missing headers errors). However, in my Mandrake distro, there were some headers such as glwdraw, glext… I have no idea what they do. They are missing in my Red Hat Linux installation. But it doesn’t make any difference as my GLUT programs are compiling.

I had Win 98 on my PC alongwith linux. Now, I upgraded to Win XP. The problem is my Open gl programs render VERY slowly in win XP. The performance is horrible with full-blown games that use OpenGL. If anyone has a solution, please suggest.

Regards.

Under XP, you may want to make sure you have updated drivers from the video card maker. It could be that your not accessing hardware rendering but software only.
So try downloading the newest drivers.

Originally posted by abhijeet_maharana:
[b]Hello everyone, I got my problem solved in the foll way. I ‘upgraded’ to Red Hat Linux 7.1. It came with all the libraries that were missing with Mandrake 8.2. Now my programs run (atleast they compile without missing headers errors). However, in my Mandrake distro, there were some headers such as glwdraw, glext… I have no idea what they do. They are missing in my Red Hat Linux installation. But it doesn’t make any difference as my GLUT programs are compiling.

I had Win 98 on my PC alongwith linux. Now, I upgraded to Win XP. The problem is my Open gl programs render VERY slowly in win XP. The performance is horrible with full-blown games that use OpenGL. If anyone has a solution, please suggest.

Regards.[/b]

I had a problem with OpenGL speed on Windows, and the solution was simply to turn off Vsync. If you have the correct driver, this might be your problem. You’ll find the Vsync switch somewhere in Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > (your video card) > OpenGL (or something like that).

Gib

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.