Doom3 with Relief Mapping

Ok fixed it. Someone told me the line:

OPTION NV_fragment_program2;

was not needed and without it nv5xxx cards would also run it. So I removed it without testing… too bad as it does not work without it.

So I included the NV_fragment_program2 dependency again (only works on nv6xxx hardware!!).

Please redownload the mod and it all should be fine.

Also please someone there with a SLI machine can you post how fast does it go with dual GPU configurations? Should be faster and maybe you can use 800x600 instead of low 640x480 resolution.

it works fine now!
thanks man! :slight_smile:

I just downloaded the modification, followed the instructions exactly, and am having the same black screen problem. All the textures seem to be totally black and I can barely see where I’m going.

My system specs:
Athlon 3200+ / 1GB DDR400 / nForce4 Ultra chipset
ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition (256MB)
Doom 3 1.3 patched

the shaders require a geforce6 card

So it won’t work with ATI at all… :stuck_out_tongue: Crap.

Also please someone there with a SLI machine can you post how fast does it go with dual GPU configurations? Should be faster and maybe you can use 800x600 instead of low 640x480 resolution.
No way to get an improvement on any OGL application with SLI nowadays … waiting for newer drivers …

SeskaPeel.

No criticism to fpo, but I don’t think the doom3 environment and textures do anything to show off this technique. I’ve spent a good half an hour walking around various old save points I’ve got lying around and it doesn’t add much at all to the visual experience, which is mad because it should be dramatic. The environment is perhaps too dark and cluttered, don’t know what it is really but I’m not as awe struck as I was by fpo’s little demo progs.

I felt the same as knackard. I did notice a lot of surfaces had a wavy look to them…quite strange. But I’m sure it’s just b/c the art for doom 3 was not created with RM in mind, just plain dot3. Where as the demos fpo created were setup just for this technique so it’s no wonder the demos look more impressive. Although I did notice a few spots in doom 3 where RM made it look better.

-SirKnight

Yes many of the depth maps are not good… but this is my converter’s fault. If you browse the generated depth maps (in specular map alpha channel) you will notice most of them have problems. But some parts in game look good with the mod (like the ones from my video and some others)… if we had perfect depth maps from original geometry it would be a different story. Maybe creating a new demo map using original textures with depth maps would make it look good.

Have to work more on the normal to depth converter. Try to remove those terrible artfacts.

A simple unsigned binary triplet normal representation cannot represent a flat surface where the vector equals the normal.

If you derive a height map from the gradient in such a map then it will inevitably produce a slope for any ‘flat’ normal map.

You’re right that this is entirely because you’re producing the height map without the original content. The right place to add this is the art path.

A neat thing would be to get in touch with THE man (read John Carmack) and see if you guys can work something out.
^
I’ve probably been reading a lot of fairy tales as this could never happen in real life :rolleyes:

Do not think it will ever happen… they are very conservative with their game art material (it is very expensive to generate all that good art and letting other people use it would be like giving money away).

Sent them an email asking permission to use a single image from the game comparing a view with and without relief mapping in a chapter I’m writing about the idea for shaderx 4 book (also using deffered shading with relief mapping and other things)… but got no answer so far.

Without permission I can not use the screeshots from the game in a publication (ok to show on iternet I gess).

FPO, use the screenshot - if anyone asks, say knackered gave you permission.

Originally posted by knackered:
FPO, use the screenshot - if anyone asks, say knackered gave you permission.
I’m stand right with you on that one knackered, go for it FPO :smiley:

Thanks knackered but the publishers will never let me use material without permission even though the contract tries to move all legal responsibilities to the authors.

Not that I believe something could happen to me as I’m not in US (and here in Brazil things are different). But I do not want to do anything other people might consider an abuse to them or to their rights. I will try talking to the publishers maybe they can resolve it by phone for example… but I’m running our of time for final text.

But if nothing else works I might just use it there and forget about it :rolleyes: .

You should send an e-mail to Todd Hollenshead, he is in charge of that kind of stuff. His e-mail is <e-mail removed>. Make sure you put a meaningful subject to the e-mail so that he can see it right away.

Yes re-sent it to him… hope he reply me by next week. Used a good subject, hope his spam filter lets me trough.

I’ve actually had best luck contacting id through Todd. Also that one programmer at id who runs the iddevnet.com site was good about getting back to me a few times. I forget his name ATM.

-SirKnight

Already got a reply from Todd, he said it is ok to use the screenshot. Excelent! Will just add a copyright notice on the text. Thanks for his email.

Originally posted by fpo:
Already got a reply from Todd, he said it is ok to use the screenshot. Excelent! Will just add a copyright notice on the text. Thanks for his email.
No problem, I’m glad they let you use their stuff :slight_smile:

PS: What happened to Paralelo Computação?