display list performance on radeon

I absolutely disagree… if on ati some things run well and on Nvidia, all things do so, I would say that nvidia is superior. And after all, we’ll have to wait for the next chipset generation, and if nvidia will reach ati pixel shader peformance so that ati does not have any performance advantage, and still on ati only some things run well and on nv still all things do so, I think it is quite clear that nv is better. but in fact another flame war is not very neccessary. At least now I know that I would have to rework the program to use vbo to reach decent performance on ati. So thanks :slight_smile: .

Jan

if on ati some things run well and on Nvidia, all things do so, I would say that nvidia is superior.

Yes but my point was exactly that not everything runs better on NVidia than ATI. Pixel shaders are already one important thing. I gave you another example, clipping planes. And VBO support on NVidia cards is still not flawless. I had to reimplement one of my programs using VAR recently because VBOs were not giving a good performance. These are just simple examples. I don’t see what makes you think “all things run well” on NVidia.

Y.

it was simply my impression because of the things people said here… nvidia: broad suppot for most or all functionality, ati: only very special things run well. And also my own experience, my program runs well on nvidia and does not on ati :wink: .

Jan

Originally posted by Ysaneya:
And VBO support on NVidia cards is still not flawless. I had to reimplement one of my programs using VAR recently because VBOs were not giving a good performance.[/QB]
bad example. vbo on ati is severly limited by their 4 byte alignment and as vao gave me even more trouble i have to fall back to vertex arrays just when vbo would be crucial (as i can either ask for 70mb vbo and not get it or use 17 and stick to vertex arrays).

I don’t think that’s a bad example, i never said ATI didn’t have its own problems, i was just saying you still have lots of issues on NVidia cards too.

Y.

Come on guys! Everyone knows that NONE is perfect. For each flaw at one side theother will eventually find 2 in the other (until NVIDIA and ATI guys discover that they are witha ration of 150% defective features in their drivers :slight_smile: )

So let`s stop fighting about wich has fewer problems… and talk about how to solve (or at least go around) them?