Detailed texturing (Bump mapping) in OpenGL?

Is this a feature that can currently be used in games, or is it something up and coming?

Detailed Texturing to my knowledge is not bumpmapping. Bump mapping is something that must be part of a game’s code (it is a lighting effect applied to a texture that makes it look variegated on a small scale). I don’t know if ‘Detail Texturing’ has a technical definition; for me, it means higher quality textures; usually it’s a setting on any modern game. But while nearly every modern game has some scalability with respect to texture quality, bump mapping is a special lighting/texturing technique that must be part of a game’s code. Hey, expert gurus–am I wrong here?

Originally posted by blix:
Detailed Texturing to my knowledge is not bumpmapping. Bump mapping is something that must be part of a game’s code (it is a lighting effect applied to a texture that makes it look variegated on a small scale). I don’t know if ‘Detail Texturing’ has a technical definition; for me, it means higher quality textures; usually it’s a setting on any modern game. But while nearly every modern game has some scalability with respect to texture quality, bump mapping is a special lighting/texturing technique that must be part of a game’s code. Hey, expert gurus–am I wrong here?

Which is to say, most games today do not feature any bumpmapping… one well-known exception is Evolva. I don’t know of any others, though some are waiting in the wings.

Hi,

in fact, ‘detail texturing’ is a technique (as bump mapping is) that allows to add details to textured geometry whenever you come too close of it.

The hack is quite simple, and looks like : whenever a texture is magnified and gets bilinear-filtered, you add another ‘pass’ that blends a ‘detail texture’ (often noise) at a much lower scale than the main texture.

Unreal had this feature (but I believe it was activated only on Glide version).

For more techincal info, you can take a look at :
http://www.sgi.com/software/opengl/advanced98/notes/node64.html#SECTION000718000000000000000