Descent Cards

Hello,

I own a GeForce2 MX 400, and I’m going to upgrade to a more descent card.
I would like to know from you guys which is the best accelerator for OpenGL that supports vertex and fragment programs.

My machine is P2 400MHz

Thanks.

With a P2 400 you’ve got worse problems than a mediocre graphics card…

You’ll probably need to upgrade your CPU and motherboard before upgrading your graphics card becomes worthwhile…

Not necesarily true I have PII350 overclocked to 434 (24% ) and GF2GTS, that is WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN YOUR MX. Jumping from Riva to GF2 resulted in ~50% performance increase And right now I’m thinking about FX5200 Ultra, cheap, 128bit color, supports longer instructions at vp/fp than 9500 & performance is (REALLY BAD ). But anyway, bigest plus of such card is that you are running vp,fp on Vcard, not emulated on CPU as for GF2 line (tell me if I’m wrong) and that should rocket your performance in most applications

There is a risk of plugging a power hungry AGP 8x card in your old AGP 1x or 2x slot.
It might blow your AGP port.

I dont know if the power requirements are listed at Nvidia.

Originally posted by M/\dm/
:
Not necesarily true I have PII350 overclocked to 434 (24% ) and GF2GTS, that is WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN YOUR MX. Jumping from Riva to GF2 resulted in ~50% performance increase And right now I’m thinking about FX5200 Ultra, cheap, 128bit color, supports longer instructions at vp/fp than 9500 & performance is (REALLY BAD ). But anyway, bigest plus of such card is that you are running vp,fp on Vcard, not emulated on CPU as for GF2 line (tell me if I’m wrong) and that should rocket your performance in most applications

you are crazy thats some funny settings.

the longer instructions over the 9500 don’t bring you much. i hope the card runs in your system. my best bet for you would be a 9600pro, as it has the lowest hw requirements, as far as i know.

but its a crazy system anyways

About those CRAZY settings, GPU’s clock is rised from 200->242, GPU mem’s clock from 333->358. No additional cooling. And actually Splinter Cell is wwerry playable w 4xAA 2xAN. As well as Max Payne, NFS HP2
We’ll see what’s will happen with newer cards, as I see no reason to upgrade CPU Moreover if all the vp is off to card

Wait until you actually start writing an app and then you’ll see the need for faster hw. The 5200 is gf2+dx9 take that as you may. If you can stand ati then 9700np is the best deal going now.

Ah decent cards. I thought we were talking retro games for a min…

The GeForce 2 MX (original) isn’t THAT much slower than a GF2GTS. Especially on an AGP 1x or 2x bus, as you’re likely to have on a Pentium II.

Anyway, you can’t even plug an AGP 8x card into a 2x slot. If you manage to, the slot will blow the card, as it’s 5V or 3.3V, and the card wants 1.5V or 0.8V. There are even some 4x slots that only feed the card 3.3V (Via Apollo 133a based, I think). Learned this the hard way…

Such a “trailing edge” set-up as an Athlon XP 2000+, KT266 chipset and 256 MB of DDR memory will run you all of $88 for motherboard and CPU and $22 for the memory. It’ll be so much more worth it than a new graphics card, is my recommendation. Depending on your current power supply, you may need a new power supply, too; that’s another $10 or so.

newer cards aren’t a problem also. I have an GeforceFX 5800 in my pentium 2 350.
It is a good testig machine for graphical features, i can’t play any modern games like ut2k3 cause they demand to much cpu power for physics and stuff.
But i mainly develop on my 933 p3 with gf2go laptop and then make the development of advanced effects on the desktop with the FX.
And that is MUCH better then Emulation mode.

And this computer also shows, that 3dmark 2003 isn’t a gaming benchmark, cause i achieved 3000 points and cant play any modern game. my notebook not even got 1000 and plays nearly everything :slight_smile:

So for development you don’t need that much processing power, just dont change the headers to often to reduce compile times.

Lars