Cube-mapping and GLSL, the camera is stuck :(

Hey all, I have been trying to get cubemapping to work for a long time now. I cannot figure it out, and good full source code for it is sparse. This is the only complete example I could find: http://tfc.duke.free.fr/

Does anybody know how to do it properly, my reflection is tied to the camera and I can’t figure out why. Can anybody help me?

Here is my application code if anyone wants to look at it, my shader code is exactly the same as tfc.duke.free.fr/.

App code: http://www.freewebs.com/bluebomber357/ogl2brick.cpp

for cube mapping u have to send to ur shader the camera position and the model matrix(and not the modelviewmatrix) of ur object that u want to apply the cube mapping .
so in ur GL code u have to separete the viewing transformation from modeling transfromation .
the modeling transformation is when u want to rotate/translate ur 3d model into game world.
the viewing transformation is to transform the world so it appears as if it is being viewed from a certain position in our world. then in ur GL code u will do something like this

//setup viwepoint of the global world
//translate,rotate or glulookat (lets call it matrix V)

//postion model1
//push matrix
//roatate translate model (lets call it matrix M)
//draw ur model : here each vertex of ur model will be multiplied by V*M
//pop matrix
//…
so back to ur shader . as i said u need to send the camera positon and the model matrix of ur object and not the modelview matrix(if u supply the modelview matrix the reflection will remain fix even if ur model moves ( as explained b4))
the question is how u can get the model matrix to send it to ur shader.
here an example :
//Ex,Ey,Ez define ur camera position in ur shader
gluLookAt(Ex,Ey,Ez,…);

//position ur model
glPushMatrix();
//here we will ask OpenGL to generate model matrix for us
glLoadIdentity();//back to identity matrix
glTranslatef(modelpos);//translate ur model
glRoatef(modelrot);//rotate ur model
float M[16];
glGetFloatv(GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX,M);//M now contain the model
//matrix .this matrix must be sent to ur shader
glPopMatrix();//back to view matrix
glPushMatrix();
glTranslatef(modelpos);
glRoatetf(modelrot);
shader->begin();
shader->setuniform3fv(“camerapos”,vec3(Ez,Ey,Ez));
shader->setuniform4x4f(“modelmatrix”,M);
drawModel();
shader->end();
glPopMatrix();

here we asked OpenGL to generate our Model Matrix. u can always generate it manually ( check opengl red book appendix : modeling and transformations matrix)
hope this help

Your code is quite clear, and I believe I implemented it correctly, but something is still wrong in my code. The reflection is still stuck, and I do not use the ModelViewMatrix anymore. Here are my suspected areas.

1. glUniformMatrix4fv(getUniLoc(getCubeProgShader(), “ModelWorld4x4”), 1, false, M);

For this line, I am not exactly sure what to put for the second and third arguements. I put a “1” there because it is the only thing that works. The boolean value is a mystery to me if I need T or F.

1. When doing applying the cubemap, I need to use the fourth texture unit right? Using, “glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE4);”? I then bind the cubemap using glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB, texture[1]);

2. I am using Ozone3D.net’s shader code. This should work with your app code that you provided right? http://www.ozone3d.net/tutorials/glsl_texturing_p04.php

BTW, sorry I did not reply sooner.

the application i provided works fine for ozone3d tutorial.
but the cube map texture must be stored in the texture unit 1(GL_TEXTURE1). i dont understand why u need the texture unit 4 (GL_TEXTURE4).
and if u are asking what to put in the texture unit 0(GL_TEXTURE0) u have to put the diffuse texture of ur model .if ur model is not textured then u have to modify ur shader code to accept the cube map texture as texture unit 0 (replace gl_TexCoord[1]).

so back to ozone3d application. u have to setup ur Opengl application to something like this :
glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0);
glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, diffuse_texture->GetID() );
glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE1);
glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB, skybox->GetID() );
//activate shader
//send camera pos and model matrix
//…
//send textures uniforms
shader->setuniform1i(“colorMap”,0);
shader->setuniform1i(“cubeMap”,1);

last thing to say that the parameters u are sending to glUniformMatrix4fv function are correct as u are sending 1 matrix and u dont want the transpose matrix( third parameter=false)
last question is why ur reflections are stuck ? can u send an image of ur output shader ?

Here is a video of what happens. Disregard the fact that the multi-texturing does not work on the sphere and torus, I know how to fix that and I am concerned about the reflection :slight_smile:

http://www.wegame.com/watch/My_GLSL_cubemap_problem/

The reflected image is stuck, it appears to work on the other shapes, but the sphere makes it clear that the camera is still stuck right? I believe I have been coding this right, I am probably just making a noob mistake somewhere…

Anyone? Please help :slight_smile:

It looks like the matrix you are using still contains the camera matrix, you want to do this calculation in world space.

Are you referring to my code or the code Abdallah posted above? Can you tell me which parts are wrong please?

Can anybody help me? I appreciate the help so far, but can anyone help me through to the finish and not disappear. I feel like I am going to be stuck on this problem forever. I’ve been stuck for 3 weeks so far :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.