Crash while creating texture

glTexImage2D returns GL_INVALID_VALUE for some computers. I am not sure what is the problem.

The parameters I am sending is

GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, surf->w, surf->h, 0, data_fmt, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, surf->pixels

data_fmt is GL_RGBA
width and height is 872 639

Here are the reasons that it can be invalid value.

GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if width is less than 0 or greater than GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE.
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if target is not GL_TEXTURE_1D_ARRAY or GL_PROXY_TEXTURE_1D_ARRAY and height is less than 0 or greater than GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE.
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if target is GL_TEXTURE_1D_ARRAY or GL_PROXY_TEXTURE_1D_ARRAY and height is less than 0 or greater than GL_MAX_ARRAY_TEXTURE_LAYERS.
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if level is less than 0.
GL_INVALID_VALUE may be generated if level is greater than log2(max), where max is the returned value of GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE.
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if internalFormat is not one of the accepted resolution and format symbolic constants.
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if width or height is less than 0 or greater than GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE.
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if border is not 0.
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if target is GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE or GL_PROXY_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE and level is not 0.

It is not a big texture so size should be under GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE? I don’t know the value of it though. Red one is also a possibility but I doubt that RGBA is not supported.
Any idea? Or help me to further debug?

Here is the full code

out << "loading " << fileName << "
";
	dimensions.setZero();
	name = fileName;
	this->repeat = repeat;

SDL_Surface* surf = IMG_Load(fileName.c_str());
	if (surf == NULL)
	{
		out << "surface_error: " << fileName << " " << SDL_GetError() << "
";
		hasError = true;
		return;
	}

GLenum data_fmt;
	if (surf->format->BytesPerPixel == 4)
	{
		data_fmt = GL_RGBA;
	}
	else if (surf->format->BytesPerPixel == 3)
	{
		data_fmt = GL_RGB;
	}
	else if (surf->format->BytesPerPixel == 1)
	{
		data_fmt = GL_RED;
	}
	else
	{
		assert(false);
	}
	GL_CALL(glGenTextures(1, &gTexture));
	GL_CALL(glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, gTexture));
	GL_CALL(glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, surf->w, surf->h, 0, data_fmt, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, surf->pixels));
	if (hadGLError)
	{
		out << data_fmt << " " << surf->w << " " << surf->h << "
";
	}
	GL_CALL(glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR));
	GL_CALL(glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR));
	dimensions = IntVec2(surf->w, surf->h);

glGenerateMipmap(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
	GL_CALL(glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, repeat ? GL_REPEAT : GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE));
	GL_CALL(glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, repeat ? GL_REPEAT : GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE));
	GL_CALL(glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR));
	GL_CALL(glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR));

SDL_FreeSurface(surf);

glGetError is set to 0x501 after glTexImage2D and it crashes on glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S

It gives me
gl error glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, surf->w, surf->h, 0, data_fmt, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, surf->pixels) (source\cTexture.cpp:49) 0x501
and after that it prints
6408 872 639 (which is GL_RGBA and width/height of the textures)

surf->format->BytesPerPixel is 4 so it picks rgba

I cant really debug things further because this is a crash report

If you are troubleshooting on a friend’s computer, trying load a bunch of different textures (all sizes, etc.) and see what works and what doesn’t.

Jeff

On modern core OpenGL contexts you must use a sized internalFormat; in other words, use GL_RGBA8 rather than GL_RGBA.

[QUOTE=shultays;1289964]glTexImage2D returns GL_INVALID_VALUE for some computers. I am not sure what is the problem.

The parameters I am sending is

GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, surf->w, surf->h, 0, data_fmt, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, surf->pixels

data_fmt is GL_RGBA
width and height is 872 639
[/QUOTE]
If you’re using an ancient version of OpenGL (e.g. Windows’ software fallback is only OpenGL 1.1), that will require power-of-two texture sizes (and may have issues with the size; OpenGL versions prior to 2.0 only required support for 64x64 textures, and 256x256 was a common limit on older hardware).

As mhagain says, OpenGL 3.2+ core profile contexts won’t accept GL_RGBA, but you shouldn’t be getting a core profile context by accident (if that’s happening, your initialisation is quite badly broken).

I think the problem was I am doing something wrong my opengl initilazation, I fixed a couple things and I am no longer getting such reports.

Another small question. Now I am setting opengl version to 3.2 using SDL_GL_SetAttribute and use SDL_GL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK, SDL_GL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_CORE

Should I do this for development only and disable those in releases? Let the user pick whatever version is good for its computer? There are some reports that I think opengl context is not being created (I tihnk it is, I really should put more error logging at init :frowning: I put now and will be sure about it tomorrow), could that be the reason that I set it for a specific version?

And should I use GL_RGBA8 if I am targetting for 3.2?

If your application requires OpenGL 3.2, then request it. If your desired OpenGL version is 3.2 or later and the application doesn’t require the compatibility profile, then request a core profile (note that MacOS doesn’t support the compatibility profile, so if you want features which aren’t in OpenGL 2.1 and you want your code to run on a Mac, you can’t use “legacy” OpenGL).

If you want to support the core profile, you should use GL_RGBA8, as unsized internal formats aren’t supported.