Confused about OpenGL

Hi,

I have confusion about OpenGL generally.

If i want to program a OpenGL application do i have to lincence that –> pay for that? Where do i have to get the libraries. Nvidia has an openGL SDK but i havn’t saw that on opengl.org.

OpenGL apps can be compiled with GCC under Linux is that also true for Windows (e.g. with MinGW)?

Has OpenGL something to do with DirectX’s Direct3D or is that something total different?

Is OpenGL an open Standard?

Thanks in advance.

cheers,
rasa

You do not have to pay for a lincence to ues opengl. Opengl is cross platform so you can compile apps uesing opengl in Linux, Windows, all most any *nix, macOS, Beos ect… if you are uesing MSVC then every thing you need are alredy there. Opengl serves the same function as Direct3D but it is a compleatly seperat libary.
And finly yes openGL is an open standard.

Good luck.

Originally posted by rasa:
If i want to program a OpenGL application do i have to lincence that –> pay for that? Where do i have to get the libraries. Nvidia has an openGL SDK but i havn’t saw that on opengl.org.

no license to pay, hence openGL. There is no SDK as such, all you need is gl.h, glu.h, opengl32.lib(.a) & glu32.lib(.a)

OpenGL apps can be compiled with GCC under Linux is that also true for Windows (e.g. with MinGW)?

Theoretically yes, but couldn’t give you a definate answer.

Has OpenGL something to do with DirectX’s Direct3D or is that something total different?

OpenGL is an API (Aplication Programing Interface) to allow you to draw geometric primitives quickly. Direct3D is an alternative API to do pretty much the same thing. The difference is that OpenGL is portable to other platforms, where as direct3d is limited to windows only. The general consensus is that OpenGL is easier to get to grips with.

Is OpenGL an open Standard?

yes.

Hey, thanks alot for ur fast answering!!

Ok i need gl.h i know that beforce but i couldn’t find it on opengl.org so i was confused.

If i install the Nvidia Driver on my Linux PC it installs gl.h too. So i have one…

Aganin, thanks.

cheers,
Raffaele