Confused about blending !

Hello all,

I’m working with OpenGL ES 1.1 so keep that in mind while reading :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m trying to get a font to render to a specified color, and it actually works but not for transparency. What I mean is if I want the font to be red, it’s working but red with alpha at 50% juste shows like red with 100% alpha.

Here is a code example, there I’m trying to get a grey tint with 50% alpha but only gets the grey tint with no alpha.

glColor4f(0.8f, 0.8f, 0.8f, 0.5f);
glEnable(GL_BLEND);
glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);

Since I’m in OpenGL ES 1.1 I can’t change the blend equation. So its blending with the default SrcColorSrcFactor + DstColorDstFactor.

Also I only have these two state enable :

glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
glEnableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);

So no color array ( does that make all vertex take the glColor* color ???)

Well I think I understand blending but cant figure this out lol

Also my font texture is White or tint of grey where text is and black elsewhere. So basically using glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ZERO); Makes the text the color specified by glColor* and the rest is perfect black.

Well I would be thankful if anyone could help me with this !

Thanks!

Mick

have you allocated bits for alpha in your pixel format descriptor?

I’m currently reading the red book so I’m not familiar with all the terms. Do you mean the way I generate my font texture ?

If so here it is :

glGenTextures(1, &(aDataHolder.textureID));
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, aDataHolder.textureID);
	glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA,aDataHolder.textureSize, aDataHolder.textureSize, 0,GL_LUMINANCE_ALPHA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, data);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);

He’s talking about how you create your OpenGL context. Are you using self-written code to initialize OpenGL, or are you using a toolkit like FreeGLUT or SDL or something?

I’m using an EGL implentation on top of OpenKODE window system.