Computer for game creation

I have been developing for 2 years on and off and it will take at least another 2 to complete so chances are(almost definately), coming towards the end of development testing i will be using a more up to date pc(the standard one at the time) And many pcs for testing. I am working directly with an animator and he will need to use the machine aswell in conjunction with his own for big high res mental ray renders. Anyone who does big globally illuminated renders will know to put the kettle on if they have a slow pc. This is another reason for my need for high spec.

Thanks,

Lemmy.

www.widowpc.com can put alien to shame. enough said

First of all, I would not reccommend you bying a PC from DELL or like, for obvious reasons - they are to closed.

You should get a computer, better two computers from a computer store(don’t know where you live, but in germany there are varous stores that will offer you nice PC for good money). I build my computer myself, and I got a very nice configuration(for that time) for about 600 euros.
That’s one.

You should get one powerfull computer for developement and a weaker one for testing. Make shure that they have different hardware. For example, an AMD x2 CPU and nvidia card for hi-end computer and a Intel CPU with ATI card for the medium one.

Do NOT by dell.
Simple, the rule of all rules, yeah they have good service, but if you want to upgrade something in the future, dell will have very little options, and if you upgrade yourself, their goes the warranty.

In my opinion, it would be best to by from an online independant store that charges a very little profit margin for great service (high turnover).

If you want to play games, AMD if far better to play games than Intel, Asus would be a good choice for motherboards. I personally have an ABIT ax8-3rd eye, AMD 64 skt 939 3500+, 1 Gig of Corsair 3200xl dual channel ram, Nvidia Geforce 7800GT 256mb, so on and so on.
Maxtor is not a good hard-drive to have when buying a new pc, the softwate installation they require before installation of Windows, gets shat on when or if you install service pack 2.
Maxtor is a good “data” hard-drive, not to be used for a boot drive, try Seagate, 5 year warranty, etc, they have never failed me.

If your developing games, then Western Digital Raptors would be the way to go for both programming and 3D modelling.

My opinion anyway.