Colors

Simply put, I’m making a game. It loads textures, applies fog, all of that stuff. I think I’m finally getting the hang of OpenGL.

My problem, however, is that what I see on one monitor looks totally different than on another. On my laptop, everything looks great, but the second I run my app on another screen, such as a standard vga flatpanel, the colors are much more… vibrant and pretty much stab the viewer’s eyes.

My question: Is this an OpenGL issue? Both machines (laptop & workstation) are running ubuntu, but the same awful effect happens under windows. Does it have to do with palettes maybe?

Thanks

Well take screenshots on both machines, and compare both images on the same machine, to rule out any screen differences.

Hmmm… that’s a good idea. I’ll have to try that.

No, it is not an OpenGL issue. Even if you display output from the same video card on different monitors the images differ. Read more about color gamut. Also, various graphics cards have different outputs. Plus, it depends on the setting in the drivers. Open graphics drivers setting panel and try to adjust parameters manually. Since I’m not using Ubuntu, I don’t know how to access those settings.

I guess I’m going to need to stop editing textures on a laptop because the screenshots vouch for that as well. I know how to edit the hardware settings…

Anyway, thanks for the help.