COLLADA for XNA - Take 2

Softimage has released a free version of XSI called modtool.
I understand that it is the full version of XSI, but limited to 64000 triangle objects only.
I comes with an XNA pipeline, that can load COLLADA .dae.

This COLLADA for XNA pipeline is most probably more advanced than the one I posted there a while ago.

did anyone tried it ?

comments?

modtool link

I do not like it, primarily because ModTool is super unstable, at least on Vista. I got major “this is just bolted on as fast as possible” feelings with the whole integration of ModTool and XNA. Also, I have always disliked XSI’s interface so that put a negative light on it right from the beginning.

Are you still working on COLLADA for XNA, remi? Just curious if it is worth my time trying to get this running in XNA 2.0 or if I should just start my own project.

edit: I went ahead and converted it to XNA 2.0. It went surprisingly smooth, even after I accidently deleted my whole directory of work and had to start over. :oops:

I am going to get to work on refactoring this library.

wow,
I have not looked at this in such a long time now.
If you send me a file that causes a problem, maybe this will force me to look at this again.

Regards
– Remi at collada.org

i have a kinda weird question. I am using a different setting, SlimDX, and i converted pretty much all code. The whole model loads and it shows just fine. I am using my own HLSL shader.

The only problem at this moment is that the textures are totally wrong. It doesn’t even look like correct :). So my guess is, BasicEffect has some calculation/setting i am not aware of.

have you got any idea why my texture coordinates are screwed up? SlimDX is based on Directx, so the coordinate T reverse is in there.

Kind Regards
Jan Helleman

Hi all,

Since FXComposer has such incredibly good COLLADA file support,

I was wondering if it might be feasiable to use the “FXComposer.Collada.dll”

as a means of loading a collada content file in an XNA app or XNA content importer lib.

Before I attempt something that simply may not be possible, I thought I
would ask for advice. Think its possible ?

Note: I tried the collada XNA importer on this site (take2), but it is lacking in features and could
not import my collada model & animations. FXComposer on the other hand, does it flawlessly.

Remi Wrote:
“Softimage has released a free version of XSI called modtool.
I understand that it is the full version of XSI, but limited to 64000 triangle objects only.
I comes with an XNA pipeline, that can load COLLADA .dae.”

Are you saying that there is an XNA COLLADA content importer dll file
packaged with the XSI ModTool ?

I downloaded it but can’t find any trace of an XNA COLLADA content importer.

I only found an XNA XSI content importer…<sigh>

Indeed, the Softimage XNA content importer only supports dotXSI right now.

regards,
LB

hi remi,

i’m very thankful to the work you’ve done here. i modified your code a little so it works with SlimDX instead of XNA to write a simple collada loader for vvvv.
since all worked out pretty well and most of the collada files available in the COLLADA test model bank are being loaded successfully, we (vvvv) are considering to use and extend your code in the future.

from the thread here i read that many people are using and modifying your code for their own purpose, so i wanted to ask, if there were or are any considerations to host your code on a public svn server like sourceforge to make bugfixes/changes available to everyone?

Feel free to post this as a sourceforge project if you think it is useful

Best Regards
– Remi

Why can’t I download any of the ZIP files?
I get always a “Forbidden access” error message.
?

If download the file directly (Save as…), I download only a html file with the error message as content.

works for me.

http://www.collada.org/public_forum/fil … -t2-p1.zip

Hi!

I can’t actually open the project files either in VS2005, VS2005 express, VS2008 and VS2008 express. I have installed XNA 2 and 3.

it opens COLLADAModel, but crashes on the COLLADADocument, COLLADAViewer and COLLADApipeline.

any idea?

Thank you.

Hi ! I had the same problem with these project. A simple solution is to start a new solution, then a new project for each old project (COLLADADocument,Pipeline,Model and viewer). Then you just have a few references to add, a 2 lines of code to change (easy to fix by looking at the debugger).
Tell me if you don’t get it, I can send you a project that works for VS2008 and XNA3.1.

hi all,
i’m new at this forum. I’m a vvvv user, and i love this great plugin (converted by elias). But i have some troubles with a limitation on skinning mesh (There are only up to four influences allowed). So i’m asking, there’s a way to allow more than 4 influences?
thx for any help :wink:

Hey, can you upload it to a different server please. This forum keeps responding 403 for any attachment. Im looking forward to test yor code before working in my solution for collada. Thanks

I have informed the webmaster. Sorry about that.
Link should be back on line shortly.

Regards

• Remi

The downloads once again work. Uploads also work as expected now.

Is this still the best way to load Collada into XNA?
It’s been a few years… and I can’t download the zip I keep getting “Forbidden” page

Download, once again, works!

Thanks)) my works from the first downloading)) great job!! :slight_smile: