CG & backward compitability

I’ve my “engine” working & it has Cg support, but unfortunately some, even new, graphic board like Intel’s S3 accelerators havn’t got support for ARB/NV_vertex_program so I have to disable all vertex shading (Cg) in my prog if program’s runing on HW of that sort. The problem is in fact I have to check every Cg releated line with at least one if statement like if(vp)CGloadmatrices(); I don’t wanna add if statement before every line, but I don’t know another way.

yea that really sucks! I wish these card developers would think about backwards compatability, not everyone has or will have one of these amazing cards… I’m faced with the same problem, I would like to use shaders but I just might forget it, simply because the shaders add so much to the game and it is so hard to emulate them in software reasonably for older hardware… I would have to ditch more than a few important feaures to the engine.

They should let people turn in older cards for a discount or something, to encourage people to move into the “future” and upgrade.
I would think about giving up my old card for a chunk of $ off a newer one.
(though I don’t know what they would do with them all, maybe recycle parts??)

If I/we didn’t have to make workarounds for the low end/crappy/non-existant gfx cards it would be so much better!

Originally posted by anonimon:
[b]yea that really sucks! I wish these card developers would think about backwards compatability, not everyone has or will have one of these amazing cards… I’m faced with the same problem, I would like to use shaders but I just might forget it, simply because the shaders add so much to the game and it is so hard to emulate them in software reasonably for older hardware… I would have to ditch more than a few important feaures to the engine.

They should let people turn in older cards for a discount or something, to encourage people to move into the “future” and upgrade.
I would think about giving up my old card for a chunk of $ off a newer one.
(though I don’t know what they would do with them all, maybe recycle parts??)

If I/we didn’t have to make workarounds for the low end/crappy/non-existant gfx cards it would be so much better![/b]

Well, that´s a way to say: So what!

Originally posted by M/\dm/
:
The problem is in fact I have to check every Cg releated line with at least one if statement like if(vp)CGloadmatrices(); I don’t wanna add if statement before every line, but I don’t know another way.

How about 1 if with two different render pathways (vp or not vp - that is the question)