Casting shadows from wireframe object

Hi,

Is there anyway to cast shadows from wireframe entities (such as glutWireSphere or simply GL_LINES )on a non planer objects?

I am sure there must few smart guys out there who have already figured it out. Thanks in advance!!

-Prasad

Pretty sure it works out of the box with shadowmap.

cool…thanx ZbuffeR!! Do have any example code or can u please direct me to more elaborate articles on it?

Best,
-Prasad

If self-shadowing is not an issue, I suggest you render this to multi-sampled FBO, or more efficiently, to a normal 8-bit texture/FBO with line anti-aliasing.

Actually self shadowing is one of the most important aspect of it :stuck_out_tongue:

I am using shadow volume technique to cast shadows from polygons. Now I also want line entities in my model to cast shadows.

It seems like a very basic problem. there has to be something to deal with it.

-Prasad

just switching to wireframe mode and rendering shadow volumes won’t work i afraid. if a line would consist of two triangles you could extrude them like you do with shadow volumes. basically a quad of two triangles forming a line is then a shadow volume mesh. seems like this is a horrible approach, shadowmaps are way better here.