Capabilities issue

I have a demo project which uses OpenGL for rendering. I’m considering a move to Direct3D howevr. I’m wondering if there will be any advantages of using the later choice in terms of capabilities under the Windows platform.

Thanks.

There is not much you can do in one that you can’t do in the other. You will have to provide:

• Why you are considering switching(problems?)
  • What hardware you are targeting
  • What your demo does
  • What market you are targeting (joe user, hardcore?)

If this was just flame bait (asking what advantages D3D has in the OpenGL forum!) this will be my last post on the topic.

The problem is that openGL behaves differently on different paltforms especially the old ones. Secondly, it’s about switching context where I guess this could be a performace bottlneck. While in Direct3D each rendering surface is associated with a d3d device.

Originally posted by glfreak:
The problem is that openGL behaves differently on different paltforms especially the old ones.
You just answered your own question.

Originally posted by glfreak:

While in Direct3D each rendering surface is associated with a d3d device.

Try running multiple D3D apps in parallel on the same video card.

Yeah! just try running multiple D3D apps in parallel.
As sqrt[-1] rightly pointed out, that there is not much difference between the two. Initially there was, when d3d tried to be excessively different from gl, but that changed and right now they are very very similar.
With the advent of programmable pipeline, u pretty much have to do everything yourself. With just the shading language disparity, there’s nothing in it! Absolutely nothing.

Even the shading languages are quite similar. Although I am biased but IMHO GLSL is definitely more productive than HLSL. But thats just my POV :slight_smile: