Can I leave a image uninitialized but still have its descriptor working and initialize it later on

suppose I have some code in a library where I can’t modify when I link it later on.

in the library, There’s an image with undefined data, uninitialized, and without any “copy raw pixels from a staging buffer to image”. so data in the image is basically junk.

but I still want it to be runnable. in the shader there’s a sampler 2D referencing this image. so the descriptor need this image in its proper form.

it seems I need to first enforce the layout for this empty image(the junk image).

//(not yet tested, draft code)

transitionImageLayout(textureImage, VK_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_SRGB, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_UNDEFINED, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_SHADER_READ_ONLY_OPTIMAL);

or maybe cheat a bit by telling the driver all the junk are preinitialized data?

transitionImageLayout(textureImage, VK_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_SRGB, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_PREINITIALIZED, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_SHADER_READ_ONLY_OPTIMAL);

That’s my question,I’m not sure if this will work, can i have something like this? and later on (after linking the library) I modify the data in the image, then the sampler2D will have correct image data.

in the library, all i want is a placeholder image for this sampler2D to work (bare minimum, bootstrap code), and then I can initialize it later in my application. by using a staging buffer and do a transition

// copied code from vulkan tutorial, 1st line is modified , old layout is no longer layout_undefined, but SHADER_READ_ONLY_OPTIMAL
        transitionImageLayout(textureImage, VK_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_SRGB, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_SHADER_READ_ONLY_OPTIMAL, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_TRANSFER_DST_OPTIMAL); 
        copyBufferToImage(stagingBuffer, textureImage, static_cast<uint32_t>(texWidth), static_cast<uint32_t>(texHeight));
        transitionImageLayout(textureImage, VK_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_SRGB, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_TRANSFER_DST_OPTIMAL, VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_SHADER_READ_ONLY_OPTIMAL);

is this ok to think way? or should I always initialize it from the very begining?

Non-sparse VkImage must be bound to memory at the point of creation of VkImageView (i.e. before descriptors), and before use in layout transition.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.