Can I call core API with EXT enums?

I’m making a wrapper around OpenGL and I came across “ubiquitous extensions.” Specifically, image formats like GL_COMPRESSED_*_EXT.

Can I use this EXT format on a core API functions… like… Framebuffer Blit? If no, would mixing and matching core/EXT have overhead? Meaning… should I just switch to calling EXT on everything?

Also… should I switch my wrapper API to this DSA thing I keep reading about?

Can I use this EXT format on a core API functions… like… Framebuffer Blit?

Well, glFramebufferBlit doesn’t take a format as a parameter, so I’m not sure how you would use that. But if you are asking if you can blit from/to a compressed image, the answer is no. But that has nothing to do with extensions; compressed image formats (whether core or from an extension) are not “color renderable”. And therefore, you may not attach them to an FBO at all. If you tried, the FBO would not be attachment complete and therefore you can’t blit from/to it.

should I switch my wrapper API to this DSA thing I keep reading about?

That’s up to you and what hardware you want to include/exclude. EXT_DSA is available on NVIDIA and AMD hardware, but it’s not everywhere (ie: Intel or MacOSX).

And AMD often seems to forget that providing DSA along with certain other extensions means that they must also provide new functions. For example ARB_texture_storage also has functions of the form glTextureStorage2DEXT, but they’re only available if ARB_texture_storage and EXT_DSA are both available. AMD exposes both extensions, but they don’t expose the glTextureStorage2DEXT functions.

Yes they do (Catalyst 13.1 and have been since at least 12.x sometime):

PFNGLTEXTURESTORAGE2DEXTPROC TestGLTexStorage2D = (PFNGLTEXTURESTORAGE2DEXTPROC) wglGetProcAddress ("glTextureStorage2DEXT");

if (TestGLTexStorage2D)
            OutputDebugString ("glTextureStorage2DEXT is exported
");
        else OutputDebugString ("glTextureStorage2DEXT is NOT exported
");

Also supported on Linux 13.3 Beta.

It didn’t work when I tried it last year sometime.