Bitmap Loader problems, Glaux Replacement

sigh I see the code tag is still broken but instead of fixing that, they had to do the silly “rate me so I can feel elite” thingy… bah!

Anyway the winmain() code that got cut of is the same as the one you already have.

It is not possible to “just” learn OpenGL, because to use OpenGL it is neccesary to setup the environment using either the windows API or some framework…

You don’t want to learn GLFW, but do you really want to learn GLX and the windows API??

If you want to learn “normal” OpenGL, you should really start slow and not concern yourself with complicated window managing.

Thanks lgrosshennig! Finally the help i needed! :woot:
I’m still having a few problems though, could you send the project to my email?
If it’s below 2mb please send it to:
sentinel@maxpaynedev.com
or
pellewerkman91@hotmail.com
Cheers!! :smiley:

No problem, its just 32kb zipped and it should be waiting in your mailbox right now.

@overmind

Looks like he wants to learn OpenGL by going through NeHe lessons which sounds perfectly fine to me, if you have a better advise to offer, spill the beans man.

Originally posted by MentalSentinel:
GLFW might be easier to understand, but the problem is, i don’t want to learn it, i want to learn normal OpenGL
Not to be picky (I suppose I am, though), but that’s what I’m trying to say. If you want to learn just OpenGL, NeHe isn’t the best way, because his code is something like 50/50 OpenGL/Win32, so there is a lot of Windows specific code there (NeHe lesson 6 is 512 lines, the GLFW version that does exactly the same thing is 240 lines).

I have done the NeHe tutorials, and in the end it had me quite confused because I wasn’t interested in the Windows stuff. And there are also a few problems with the NeHe code (like you shouldn’t include <gl\gl.h>, but <GL/gl.h>, SetForegroundWindow only works as you’d expect it under Windows98, and you’re not supposed to call TranslateMessage when you’re treating the keyboard messages as NeHe does, etc).

Anyway, until there are any better alternatives for the NeHe tutorials, I suppose that’s the way for most people to go.

I am working on some tutorials (not that I claim that they are any better, but at least they are the way I would have liked them when I started learning OpenGL), at the GLFW pages - currently doing some texturing stuff, but it’s going slow because I don’t have enough time, unfortunately.