beginner GL questions

Hello,

as the board suggests, I am a beginner, and new to the forums so I wanted to say Hello before I ask my question.

I am creating a game world editor (later model and texture editor (for select types)) and I am having a few problems with my openGL viewports. I am using the Tao Framework. I would post there, but their forums seem to have died.

• I cannot seem to grasp Frustrum operations very well
  • I would like to put in place some form of lighting that accepts a possible hundreds of lights and I saw that GL_LIGHTS only supports 8??
  • I am trying to draw some text over the viewport. It’s part of “viewport.Parent”, so it has nothing to do with the gl control except that when the GL invalidates, the label hides it self. What is odd is that when I add another of the same label to the parent control, it reappears. Anything you guys can suggest here about that?

There some more but I don’t remember at the moment.
Thanks in advanced for any ideas.

• I would like to put in place some form of lighting that accepts a possible hundreds of lights and I saw that GL_LIGHTS only supports 8??

Yes. This means that you should re-specify the lighting environment for each object. Each object you render can only use 8 lights, but that doesn’t mean that every object uses the same 8 lights.

If you want to render lots of lights, then you better get researching differed lighting. It’s one of the more advanced features in an engine. My friend was able to pull it off in XNA, but he has 8+ years experience with graphics programming.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking per-pixel lighting but a friend told me that was very advanced and very hard to do so… looks like I will be sticking with reg GL lighting for now.

Also, what is the best method for drawing terrains (mesh, then converted later by user to polys)?