ATI Radeon HD 4800 OpenGL features

Well we used that in our application and it was horribly broken on the 48xx, disabling stencil test fixed some problem (but of course deactivated some feature as well), but it is very difficult to say, whether packed_depth_stencil is usable or not, because we didn’t intend to repair it.

My friend exchanges his card today for a Gf 9600, so i can’t dig deeper, sorry (though i’m really happy i don’t have to, right now).

Jan.

I’ve noticed that you can’t sample from a 24 bit depth texture (GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24, GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8) on Radeon 4850. All you get is random values. However DEPTH_COMPONENT16/32 works fine.

Thanks. For your friend it is best idea. :slight_smile:

What about simple rendering to FBO with stencil ?
Does it works ? Have you got any problem ?

It seems to work. My graphics engine relies on FBO with stencil and at first it didn’t work at all with R4850. Then I added an additional color target to store and sample depth from and made the native depth/stencil buffer a renderbuffer. Then everything works as it should, I think.

But the consequence of this is that I got really poor depth precision from packing a depthvalue into a RGBA8 color target. But it’s just a temp solution until the drivers get fixed.

Thanks. It is very pity !
I will not get fun with ATI :slight_smile:

I doubt the drivers will be “fixed” any time soon, if at all. ATI seems not only to have dropped gl 2.1 support (by not improving it anymore), but they actually remove features/functionality. I really don’t know what they are trying to achieve with that, other than [oh cool, this forum censores stuff…] people off.

Jan.

I guess they have to if they want support games running id tech 5 (Rage, Doom 4).

Question: Is it possible to use ATI Fetch4 for shadow maps in OpenGL? I find zero info on the net.

Sure:

if BinaryName == “Doom4.exe”
DisableCrapMode ();

Catalyst 8.7 brings
GL_ARB_color_buffer_float

GL_ATI_shader_texture_lod
Only for backward compatibility, because they have this: http://www.everfall.com/paste/id.php?6x4t0zkfhz0a

WGL_ARB_pixel_format_float
The same as WGL_ATI_pixel_format_float

I am glad to see you … here :slight_smile: