Anyone got Quake 3 to work on Windows 2000?

Anyone got Quake 3 running on Windows 2000? At the moment my system configuartion is as follows:
Dual System
CPU 2x466@525MHZ
Abit BP6 Motherboard
226meg Ram
32 Matrox Single head vdo Card
Running a Dual Boot Windows Me & Windows 2K
Quake 3 works fine in Windows Me, but when running in Windows 2K at startup an error display cannot find the GL drivers.
So in conclusion if anyone who has the similar problems and has solved the problem please email me on gtan@excite.com

Most Appreciated!

Yeah! i have the same problems !
Quake 3 Arena does not work at windows 2000!
Read my problem, when I try to start Q3A…
“GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem”.

Someone know to fix this probleme ?
I need the right Open GL Patch.
Thank you for answer me…cya

This means that Quake 3 couldn’t find OpenGL ICD drivers nor MiniGL drivers.

It’s not because of Win2k, it’s because of your GFX card’s drivers. You need the latest one.
Q3A works for me under Win2k, as well as for almost anyone. But the ATI Rage 128 (or before) and the Matrox cards have “not so good” drivers under that OS.

The only thing you can do is checking for new drivers on www.matrox.com

GPSnoopy: So u mean i won’t be able 2 run Q3A in Win2k using my matrox card. I’ve try installing the latest driver and still i get the same problem.
U know What’s funny, i 4got 2 tell u. Q3A runs fine when u don’t do a full install and just run off the cd. So how do u explain that occurance? Do u know of any opengl command which i can execute n load D3D driver or of some sort rather it trying 2 load the opengl driver.

There is nothing you can do to force Q3A to use D3D instead.

And if it’s working in WinME, can’t you just play it from there then? And if it’s working with a small installation of Q3A, why not play with the CD inserted, cause you did BUY the game, didn’t ya?

Anyways, there seems to be some problems with Matrox’s OpenGL implementations. By reading posts on the other boards here, I get the impression that Matrox don’t have that good OpenGL drivers. Note that I don’t own one myself, so can’t confirm this…

Hi,
I use the Voodoo 3 3500 TV Graphic-card, and I don’t find the right driver. If I search driver at www.3dfx.com these driver doesn’t fix this problem. Can someone tell me, where I can download a good OpenGL Driver for my card ? I need it to play Quake3Arena @ w2k )

[PS: I know…my english really sux )]
cya

The reason why i wanted 2 test Q3A in W2K was 2 take advantage of the SMP. I heard that Q3A support the technology. Just wanna see if there is a difference. Oh btw i did pay money and purchase a copy 4 myself.

Neway i found a section on this site www.opengl.org called Opengl Downloads For Ussers. A file i just D/L might just solve the problem. to u guys who has the same problem as mi i suggest u take a look at this section and D/L the file.

Anyone who has a Matrox card and experience the same problem as i do and has solved it please i need ur help!

Thanks!

The reason why i wanted 2 test Q3A in W2K was 2 take advantage of the SMP. I heard that Q3A support the technology. Just wanna see if there is a difference. Oh btw i did pay money and purchase a copy 4 myself.

Neway i found a section on this site www.opengl.org called Opengl Downloads For Ussers. A file i just D/L might just solve the problem. to u guys who has the same problem as mi i suggest u take a look at this section and D/L the file.

Anyone who has a Matrox card and experience the same problem as i do and has solved it please i need ur help!

Thanks!

I think that I had to search for the latest drivers or copy opengl32.dll or whatever files it couldn’t find to the system directory or something like that. I dunno exactly what I did but I can try it on another computer that I haven’t “modified” yet.

You need to get the drivers from Matrox that have opengl. Win2K doesn’t install default drivers with OpenGL.

Reaperman

I have installed the latest drivers 4 my vdo card. Some more its a one of those Microsoft Certified versions. Does that make a different u think? Or maybe it has got 2 do with the File Allocation Tables(FAT). FAT32 or NTFS. Maybe Q3A doesnt supoort NT its not a NT game so that figures y it doesnt work. What r u guys running on? FAT32 or NTFS.

Originally posted by OpenGL-Employee:
There Is No OpenGL Support On Windows NT/2000 or the upcoming version of windows (XP) why the hell would you use windows 2000 for games? there will be no future support…

There Is Support You Cheap Piece Of Sh*t i have a savage 4 16mb on windows xp and im playin Soldier Of Fortune (Gold) and Quake 3 Just Fine!

Andy01, I’m running Q3A on Win2k running NTFS. I really doubt Q3A will fail because of wrong filesystem, missing systemcalls, or anything similar. Fileaccess among other things is transparent to the user, you make the same calls independent of filesystem, and the OS deals with the lowlevel stuff, and “translates” the calls to FAT32/NTFS.

As mentioned already, the error you get is (most certainly) because of bad drivers. I have seen other posts here about Matrox’s OpenGL drivers, and they seems to be pretty bad.

Hi all, first time poster:

Due to untimely vidcard death, I am using an old
Velocity 4400 TnT, and I am having problems
getting Q3 to run. I know that it runs on this card,
because I used it on another system

The console keeps reporting that it “cannot load
opengl subsystem” and the last thing is calls is
this:

"…assuming ‘3dfxvgl’ is a standalone driver "

which is LONG gone, along with every other
file with the tag 3dfx. I’ve even gon thru DXDiag,
and I allows for D3D testingm but it isn’t and won’t
enable it…

I have the 12.41 patch installed, DX8, and I have
gone thru every trick I know to make it work,
from mobo updates to reinstalling everything
short of windows itself.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks in
advance!

Originally posted by obscure/renegade:
[b]Hi all, first time poster:

Due to untimely vidcard death, I am using an old
Velocity 4400 TnT, and I am having problems
getting Q3 to run. I know that it runs on this card,
because I used it on another system

The console keeps reporting that it “cannot load
opengl subsystem” and the last thing is calls is
this:

"…assuming ‘3dfxvgl’ is a standalone driver "

which is LONG gone, along with every other
file with the tag 3dfx. I’ve even gon thru DXDiag,
and I allows for D3D testingm but it isn’t and won’t
enable it…

I have the 12.41 patch installed, DX8, and I have
gone thru every trick I know to make it work,
from mobo updates to reinstalling everything
short of windows itself.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks in
advance![/b]

[edit]

Here’s a thread that details how a friend has the same problem:
http://www.were-here.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=71681&pagenumber=1

HEY GUYS I’VE JUST SOLVED THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WE ALL BEING HAVING. IT’S NO BULL! IM ACTUALLY RUNNNG Q3A !!! FINALLLY!!! IT DOES WORK ON WINDOWS 2000! THE SOLUTION IS VERY SIMPLE!
OK FIRSTLY, MAKE SURE UR VDO DRIVER IS A MICROSOFT CERTIFIED WHICH MEANS ITS ACTUALLY BEING TESTED BY MICROSOFT. THAT I DUNNO IF OF THAT IMPORTANCE BUT THAT’S WHAT I HAVE INSTALLED ON MY SYSTEM. IM NOT SURE IF IT DOES AFFECT IT OR NOT BUT U CAN TRY INSTALLING THE LATEST DRIVER 4 UR VDO CARD.
SECONDLY, GO TO THIS WEB PAGE AND D/L THE OPENGL V1.1 SOFTWARE DRIVER. ITS REALLY IMPORTANT THAT U D/L THIS FILE COS IT CONTAINS THE FILE U NEEDED 2 MAKE Q3A RUN.
OK NOW I TELL U GUYS WHAT IS MAKING Q3A GIVING US THE ERRORS WE’VE BEING GETTING. IN UR Q3A DIRECTORY THERE’S A LIBRARY FILE CALLED THE OPENGL32.DLL. THE BYTE SIZE IS 613KB DATE: 3/1/2000. CHECK WHAT BTYE SIZE IS IN THE DERECTORY. OK THE CORRECT BYTE SIZE 4 Q3A 2 RUN IS 676KB DATE: 12/7/1999 WHICH U CAN COPY AND PASTE FROM UR SYSTEM32 DIRECTORY. RUN THE GAME! IT SHOULD WORK. IF IT DOESNT WORK THEN I REALLY DUNNO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM.
IT IS ACTUALLY WORKING ON MY DUAL SYSTEM. BELIEVE ME ITS DAMNED SMOOTH. FOR BOTH PPLS WHO HAS A DUAL SYSTEM LIKE ME U WOULDN’T WANT 2 MISS OUT! QUICKLY INSTALL WINDOWS 2000 N GET THE FILES I TELL U WONT BE DISAPPOINTED! U CAN STOP HERE OR READ ON Y U MOVED 2 WINDOWS 2000.
OK. SO THATS AOUT ALL! ACTUALLY MY JOB IS DONE. U KNOW THE ONLY REASON I INSTALLED WINDOWS 2000 WAS THAT I HEARD Q3A SUPPORTS SMP AND IT REALLY DOES MAKE A DIFFERENT BELIEVE ME. B4 WEN I WAS RUNNING ON WINDOWS ME Q3TA WAS DAMNED SLOW I MEAN EVEN RUNNING ON THE LOWEST RESOLUTION DOESNT EVEN MAKE A DIFFERENT. ONLY AFTER I FOUND OUT THIS COMMAND \com_hunkmegs 128 U TYPE ON THE CONSOLE. BUT ONLY CAN RUN IT ON THE LOWEST RESOLUTION. BUT THAT WASN’T GOOD ENOUGH. TO BE HONEST IM NOT GOING BACK 2 WIN98 OR WIN ME. I THINK ITS JUST A WASTE 4 MY SYSTEM SINCE IT A DUAL SYSTEM.
AND THAT’S IT GUYS. I THINK U HEARD ME ENOUGH I BETTA STOP HERE AND LET U GUYS TRY IT OUT.
LETS ME KNOW IF THE SOLUTION I PROVIDED DOES WORK OK. TIL THEN HAPPY QUAKING!!!

PS. FOR THOSE PPL WHO GOT Q3A WORKING ON THEIR SYSTEM GOOD. FOR THOSE WHO CAN’T TRY THIS OUT OK. IM NOT 100% IF IT WILL WORK OR NOT OK BUT IT WORKED 4 MI. OH BTW SORRY 4 THE UPPERCASE I JUST THOUGHT IT COULD CATCH U GUYS ATTENTION.

ANDY01
FINALLY!!!

u dont get this do u
u either use the Microsoft Windows 2000/XP Drivers For DirectX Games Which Use Advanced Textures…If U Use The Newest Drivers From Your Hardware Vendor’s Site U Would Get OpenGL To Actually Work…Delta Force III only Works On The Microsoft Certified Drivers!

Is Q3A working fine on ur system?
Well Q3A used 2 not work on my system. but now is working cos i just found out a library file opengl32.dll which has the byte size 675kb which was replaced with the old 613kb. and after doing that guess what Q3A works. Im not sure if it works 4 everyone but 4 those who cant get Q3A working they can try my solution. u’ve got nothing 2 loose neway. backup ur old opengl32.dll 1st ofcos.

Everyone, make sure that you are running the latest service pack for win 2K ( currently SP2 ), that you check the windows update website for application compatability updates, and are running the LATEST video drivers, make sure you check to see if there are any new drivers for Win 2k, the ones that come with win2k DO NOT HAVE OPENGL SUPPORT!!!. I currently have Q3A running great on Windows 2000 Pro with SP2, Directx 8.0a, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, 256 Megs of Ram, SBlive, celeron 300a @ 450Mhz, all running 1280 * 1024 * 32bpp. Any questions, I check this forum on Mondays and Wednesdays. Laterz and I hope this helps.

I Am On WinXP Pro Beta 1 On A 433Mhz Celeron on a Gigabyte GA-6VXE VIA Apollo Pro AGPset 128MB RAM 16MB Savage 4 AGP 4x And I Am Running Quake III/Diakatana/UT/Soldier Of Fortune And Half Life All On OpenGL Mode
I Didn’t Need To Download No Sh*t Service Pack 4 I Just Needed My Video Cards Newest Drivers Which Turned Out To Be With A File Named “s3micd.dll” <----which is my OpenGL API Library File!
No OpenGL32.dll file could solve the problem or make a difference!
drivers Do!
I Even Got That File On Windows 98 Which Tells Me I Don’t Need To Use GLSetup!