Any ideas when Nvisia will release their OpenGL drivers that include GLSL?

Nv glslang will be probably released in april. You can play with buggy and slow ati glslang or buggy cg. The cg 1.2 should be out in a month or so as well. Your best bet now is the nv asm fp for speed and arb fp for cross hw support but slower speed on nv hw. I honestly don’t know why you complain. Try working with register combiners and then you’ll love asm shaders Doesn’t glslang lack some asm functionality? It does in cg.

Originally posted by JD:
Nv glslang will be probably released in april. You can play with buggy and slow ati glslang or buggy cg. The cg 1.2 should be out in a month or so as well. Your best bet now is the nv asm fp for speed and arb fp for cross hw support but slower speed on nv hw. I honestly don’t know why you complain. Try working with register combiners and then you’ll love asm shaders Doesn’t glslang lack some asm functionality? It does in cg.

Have you tried current ATI glslang implementation?. It can be a little buggy in some areas but, in general, it work pretty well. Slow? It is as faster (if no more) than hand generated asm.

IIRC The Geforce FX 5700 has full support for Floating Point Shaders.

The latest leaked drivers (53.56 IIRC) support GLSL with some registry tweaks, according to some ppl.

maybe GL_EXT_cg_shader is explanation of delay

You can try this (I didn’t check this yet):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\OpenGl]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\OpenGl\Debug]
“ShaderObjects”=dword:00000001
“WriteProgramObjectAssembly”=dword:00000000

I was able to run all the existing glslang demos I could get with 56.56

Funny. With that registy patch GLSLs GL_ARB_shader_objects and GL_ARB_shading_language_100 are exposed in extension string even on GF4. Isn’t this a bit pointles since there is no ARB_FP on GF4. Or did someone find a magic way to run GLSL on GF4?

PS and a bit OT: What is the GL_NV_pixel_buffer_object in the new drivers for? I don’t find it in extension registry.

Originally posted by DarkWIng:
Funny. With that registy patch GLSLs GL_ARB_shader_objects and GL_ARB_shading_language_100 are exposed in extension string even on GF4. Isn’t this a bit pointles since there is no ARB_FP on GF4. Or did someone find a magic way to run GLSL on GF4?

You will be able to use ARB_vertex_shader but not ARB_fragment_shader on GeForce 4 GPU’s.

Originally posted by jra101:
You will be able to use ARB_vertex_shader but not ARB_fragment_shader on GeForce 4 GPU’s.

Well, technically you can also use the fragment shader, except you’ll get software rendering.
I think this is something to look out for, since you won’t get any errors except 0.5 fps.

Jan

Well ARB_fragment_shader will only be exposed on GeForce 4 GPU’s if NV30 emulation is enabled, in which case you should expect it to be slow.

I’ve been running Humus’ Portals demo (GFFX5200, 56.55) and played tweaking its GLSL shader text. Funny, it appears you can use some Cg’s functions and types in GLSL code. That’s probably what the GL_EXT_Cg_shader was made for.

Things that worked:

• fp30/vp30-profile specific functions: lit, pack/unpack, saturate, clip
  • half, fixed, half2, fixed2, … (they did affect output asm code, but I can’t say that about speed: 0% difference, as usual on 5200)

Things that didn’t work:

• fp20-profile specific functions (even ‘expand’ didn’t work)
  • I was unable to make the compiler produce code using RFL instruction. Anyone knows how it can be done in Cg?

glslang is compiled using cg on nvidia boards(the compiler is included in the driver), so it’s probably not a surprise.

@CybeRUS: what is the reg key “WriteProgramObjectAssembly” for? by setting it to 0x0, you disables it?

@Hampel: you use that flag to get the asm output of the shader. This are txt files that would be created in the directory of your’s exe.

glSlang works on nVidia cards? sweet i have a ati radeon 9800 and im wondering how does glSlang on an FX card compare with on a 9800?

forceware 56.68, which is only availabled on GDC SDK DVD supports officially GLSL

hey, come on NVIDIA guys out there, the ordinary mob also demands support

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.