Antialiasing on G80

I’m on Ubuntu, running the latest NVidia drivers available from the distro (97.55)

I’m only seeing visuals that have 0, 2, or 4 samples. Is there a different function (other than the standard visual stuff) I need to call to get access to those other multisampling levels?

I’m not familiar with the details but FB memory use and therefore potentially available the multisample count can be affected by desktop size (and pixel color depth etc.).

So, try using lower desktop resolutions and smaller pixel formats, but that’s a shot in the dark. Going full screen at lower resolution may also work, just change the resolution before you request your visual & context.

I’m running a Dual-monitor (Two X screens) setup with one monitor at 1600x1200 and the other at 1280x1024… I’ll try disabling one of the monitors, and see what happens when I get in to work on Monday.

EDIT: I’ll try looking at multisampled FBOs as well. Perhaps the huge number of visuals available on the G80 prevents some options from being usable.

EDIT2: I just did a quick test at home (This effects my own projects too, not just my work stuff). With glxinfo, I see no multisampling possible. Using visualinfo (Part of GLEW), I can see visuals with 2 or 4 samples. Checking GL_MAX_SAMPLES_EXT show a maximum FBO multisampling of 8 samples (I have a 6600 at home, using the 100.14 drivers). It looks like the best way to do multisampling is to draw to an FBO first.

I’m only seeing visuals that have 0, 2, or 4 samples. Is there a different function (other than the standard visual stuff) I need to call to get access to those other multisampling levels?

Yes, ignore the glxinfo num samples stuff. I’ve never seen anything else but 0,2,4 there, but have used more.

setenv __GL_FSAA_MODE ##, where ## is given in a table in
/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX_1.0/README.txt. For G-80:

__GL_FSAA_MODE     GeForce 8xxx, G8xGL
    ---------------    ------------------------------------------------------
    0                  FSAA disabled
    1                  2x Bilinear Multisampling
    2                  FSAA disabled
    3                  FSAA disabled
    4                  4x Bilinear Multisampling
    5                  FSAA disabled
    6                  FSAA disabled
    7                  4x Bilinear Multisampling by 4x Supersampling
    8                  FSAA disabled
    9                  8x Bilinear Multisampling
    10                 8x
    11                 16x
    12                 16xQ
    13                 8x Bilinear Multisampling by 4x Supersampling

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.