An idea: Hardware accelerated tree-based visibility test

No, it’s just not practical to have that kind of 2 way communication with a card - certainly not in a reasonably low level api like opengl. I don’t care how fast your gpu is, you will never benefit from this approach. So, do the work yourself on the CPU.
Blimey, it’ll soon come to a point where peoples CPU’s are 99% idle most of the time.

The occlusion test functionality exposed recently on nvidia hardware is for very special cases - it goes against the grain of opengl, but it is useful in a very limited number of cases.

The occlusion extension is very useful if you store the results of previous tests and use them in the later occlusion queries as reference. This reduces communication with the graphics card and moves most of the occlusion calculations to the cpu.

So basically I use the extension to get a crude mask of areas that are occluded. Then I check the boundingbox of an object against that mask (done on the cpu) before resorting to the use of the extension. The system is still very much in-development and needs a lot of optimizations. However, it already minimizes an occlusion query to a couple of if-statements instead of a bunch of gl-commands and communication with the graphics card.

GL_ARB_bounding_volume_twelve_sided_ADnD_dice

laugh This one cracks me up.

Don’t forget:
GL_ARB_multi_light_source_soft_shadows

– Zeno

GL_ARB_global_illumination
GL_ARB_raytrace_realtime
GL_ARB_make_the_perfect_game_for_me

but yeah, would be funny to have trees to draw them, with xml for example or something… at least the idea is funny and cool

GL_ARB_friendly_forum_where_people_doesnt_try_to_make_fools_out_of_people_with_regards_to_honest_ideas_regardless_of_how_silly_you_think_it_is

Well, I’ve tried and I failed. I tried to explain what OpenGL is (see: section titled ‘Our view’ in the glspecs) in admittedly brief words. Then I’ve taken it to the extreme to demonstrate it a little further

Originally posted by Humus:
[b]GL_ARB_friendly_forum_where_people_doesnt_try_to_make_fools_out_of_people_with_regards_to_honest_ideas_regardless_of_how_silly_you_think_it_is

[/b]

Hear! Hear!

but yeah, would be funny to have trees to draw them, with xml for example or something… at least the idea is funny and cool

this was ment as yeah i like the idea, not to blame him… i mean, currently everything gets programable, why not a on-gpu-tree-walker?

not yet but soon that could be in hardware… some tree-structured occlusion-query for example…who knows?

GL_ARB_friendly_forum_where_people_doesnt_try_to_make_fools_out_of_people_with_regards_to_honest_ideas_regardless_of_how_silly_you_think_it_is

Bollocks. Ridicule them for the fools they are!