About vertex shaders...

Do I need a Geforce 3 to start programming vertex shaders? or is another way? Thanks.

any geforce should do. though i believe then u get software emulation but at least it still works.

I thought vertex shaders in software only works under DX8 (at least with my 10.08 drivers) ?

and what about pixel shaders ? any software divers working with them ?

Vertex shaders (or vertex programs as nvidia call them) work sw-emulated on GeForce hardware with recent drivers. Software pixelshaders are so far only available in the D3D( reference rasterizer, and it’s slower than molasses.

Originally posted by zed:
any geforce should do. though i believe then u get software emulation but at least it still works.

WRONG… what is with noobies these days. GeForce cards SUCK. NV20 is the best on the market todaya nd will be for quite a while to come.

P.S. This has nothing to do withthe original post, was correcting wrongly posted information.

“WRONG… what is with noobies these days. GeForce cards SUCK. NV20 is the best on the market todaya nd will be for quite a while to come.”

NV20 is a GeForce. In particular, GeForce3. And the NV_Vertex_Program extension does work with at least GeForce2 level hardware, if not GeForce1’s. It is only implemented in hardware on a GeForce3.

I wouldn’t call a “Frequent Contributer” a newbie when you’re not even registered.

And even with the advent of GeForce 3’s, the other GeForces do not suck. They may have fewer features, but I prefer a card I can justify financially than one I cannot.