A New OpenGL book.

Over a year ago, i got this book “openGL extensions guide” and it addressed a lot of the new extensions. I was wondering if someone would care to write a similar book with the latest extensions and the new core functions of OGL 2.0, with examples showing how to use them in real applications.
I think that such a book would be a valuable resource to the OGL community.
unfortunately, OGL books are not that many (compared to the DX books out there).
So I hope that someone from NVidai or ATI or anyone with the proper knowledge publish such a book. I know that i will buy it.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

There are truckloads of OpenGL books out there.

There’s a new 2.0 red book but it didn’t seem to be much different from the others or go into much detail on glslang which is the main feature of 2.0. But I thik it gives you coverage.

If you want the newest stuff on shaders in OpenGL you should probably look at the Orange Book, second edition.

http://www.3dshaders.com/joomla/

I already have both, the red book and the orange book. what I don’t have is the blue book(the reference).

The blue book is a waste, you can get all that and the specs online.

Is this advanced discussion or help?

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for books & references on the latest features here, they are almost always advanced.

Originally posted by dorbie:
The blue book is a waste, you can get all that and the specs online.
I actually use the blue book a lot. It has a lot of nice “interaction”/“whats related” information and indicates what version of OpenGL each function/type came in at.

Is there a blue book for 2.0? I have been searching and have not found it. I am also a fan of the blue book.

I can’t find the blue book for 2.0 on Amazon either… Had I found it, I would have bought it.
:frowning:

Originally posted by dorbie:
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for books & references on the latest features here, they are almost always advanced.
But this is all in the faq, it’s not objective stuff worth discussing, it’s information available in a miriad of other sources. You’re a moderator, you’re setting a bad example. :wink:

If I was a better moderator I’d delete more posts like yours ;-). There’s a certain irony to you complaining about my moderation, and you’re bumping a thread that you object to which would die of it’s own accord.

However, as always thanks for the input. There is a “report post” link at the bottom of each post if you want to inform the moderators of a problem post in future. I’ll be happy to give your objections an audience.

If you are in the US, and want to buy those red\blue\orange OpenGL books, you may want to check out their publisher’s website and order from them. They offer great discount(35% ) and free shipping.