41.91 NVIDIA Linux Detonator Feedback

It’s buggin’ time!

• When running the OpenGL samples [1] from wxWindows/wxGTK I’m getting the following message:

The program ‘penguin’ received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was ‘BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)’.
(Details: serial 469 error_code 8 request_code 144 minor_code 5)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

The previous driver crashed my X server so it’s definitely an improvement

• The pixmap-* examples [2] from gtkglext do not crash my X server anymore, I can view them safely now, yeay!

And some non-OGL related bugs:

• When moving windows over my Nautilus desktop every drawing operation / window movement becomes very slow
  • Same happens when moving windows and collide with the corners of the screen
  • The ‘fishing the sky’ Gtk2 theme is yellow and uses corrupted images/icons everywhere

(could anyone confirm these last few bugs?)

[1] See this topic.
[2] See [1]

When moving a window on top of another window it does seem to be a tiny bit faster though
(more smooth)

And OpenGL accelerated windows really fly when moving such windows (not the content in the client frame but the X window itself).

OH, and while talking about the non-OGL bugs… the window moving is pretty smooth when Nautilus doesn’t draw the desktop.

(this all is on RH8 btw)

You need to compile the nvidia driver on your system or it WILL NOT WORK!!! Also do everything in the readme.

I ALWAYS!! read the README and I usually d/l the tarballs instead of rpms

I think these bugs are the result of the XAA drop…

I use a nvidia geforce 2 mx with the default(execpt for the changes in the readme) xfreeconfig file, running the latest kernel. If you wanna try using my xfreeconfig file or look at it just tell me.

Originally posted by richardve:
[b]It’s buggin’ time!

• When running the OpenGL samples [1] from wxWindows/wxGTK I’m getting the following message:

[quote]
The program ‘penguin’ received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was ‘BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)’.
(Details: serial 469 error_code 8 request_code 144 minor_code 5)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

The previous driver crashed my X server so it’s definitely an improvement

• The pixmap-* examples [2] from gtkglext do not crash my X server anymore, I can view them safely now, yeay!

And some non-OGL related bugs:

• When moving windows over my Nautilus desktop every drawing operation / window movement becomes very slow
  • Same happens when moving windows and collide with the corners of the screen
  • The ‘fishing the sky’ Gtk2 theme is yellow and uses corrupted images/icons everywhere

(could anyone confirm these last few bugs?)

[1] See this topic.
[2] See [1]

When moving a window on top of another window it does seem to be a tiny bit faster though
(more smooth)

And OpenGL accelerated windows really fly when moving such windows (not the content in the client frame but the X window itself).[/b][/QUOTE]

I can verify most of the above. I have tried all of the work-arounds that I’ve seen. Compiling from source, setting the render, flip and cursor, settings in the Xconfig file, running an OpenGL first, then seeing how the 2d is working. All to no avail, --there are little improvements, but the desktop in RH 8 with gnome is still dog slow compared with what it used to be…

On another note. When I ported my OpenGL app to Redhat 8.0 from Mandrake 8.0, I found there was a huge slowdown, just because the keyboard/mouse input in RH 8 seems to be much more responsive.

Jamie

Originally posted by nukem:
I use a nvidia geforce 2 mx with the default(execpt for the changes in the readme) xfreeconfig file, running the latest kernel. If you wanna try using my xfreeconfig file or look at it just tell me.

Well, you could post a link, but I don’t think it’ll help much…
(the only additions in my own (by redhat-config-xfree86 generated) XF86Config are those mentioned in the readme and a vibrant color option)

Thanks anyway.

Originally posted by amendol:
On another note. When I ported my OpenGL app to Redhat 8.0 from Mandrake 8.0, I found there was a huge slowdown, just because the keyboard/mouse input in RH 8 seems to be much more responsive.

That’s because RH applied a patch to the kernel in RH8 that makes it possible to set the ‘HZ’ kernel option.
This option is normally set to 100 (afaik), on RH8 it’s 512, and on kernel 2.5/2.6 it’s set to 1000.

And it does indeed make things more responsive.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.