4 texture units. 6 textures to use

Hi all,

I’m creating a application that basically can use 6 textures to compute a fragcolor in the fragment program.
Problem is that this application also needs to work on video cards with 4 texture units.

So my idea is to use multi pass rendering.
I draw a polygon witht the 1st 3 textures enabled. and then draw again with the other 3. The final color is a combination of all 6 textures.

1st color algorithm:

From the maintexture, using look up texture gives new Frag value (apply a display filter).
This new Frag value is used to look into a colorset texture to get the correct color ( apply colorset texture).

I got the above working.

But now I want to overlay this maintexture (using mix()) with another texture created exactly like the above. Should I be using FBO’s?

Am I explaining my problem correct? If so do any of you know how to do this?

If you need more information I will post.

Regards,

Ronald

The thing is actually very weard and I haven’t all the answer to it.

For a look time now graphics card have more that 4 texture units… but glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNIT, ); return 4 on my GeForce 8800… however I successfully bind more that 4 textures.

If someone have clues on this I will appreciate but anyway in your case, just bind 6 textures, it works!

To Groovounet,

Use GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS to get the number of (fixed-function) texture units. Min is 2. Max is 32. It is 4 on my nVidia Quadro FX 3600M

Use GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS to get the number of texture image units accessible by a vertex shader. Min is 0. 32 for me.

Use GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS to get the number of texture image units accessible by fragment processing. Min is 2. 32 for me.

Use GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS to get the total number of texture units accessible by the GL. Min is 2. 32 for me.

Under Linux, just type glxinfo -l

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/General_FAQ.html#t6

Thanks!!!

But what’s this GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS? Oo When does it apply?

Well thanks that solved my trouble.

Still dont know how to do multipass shading. But I dont need to do it anymore. :slight_smile:

Again thx

Both the vertex shader and fragment processing combined cannot use more
than MAX COMBINED TEXTURE IMAGE UNITS texture image units. If both
the vertex shader and the fragment processing stage access the same texture
image unit, then that counts as using two texture image units against the
MAX COMBINED TEXTURE IMAGE UNITS limit.

Ran into new problem :o

I’m binding a texture to my 5th texture unit see code below.
I draw this texture no problemo.

int unit = 4;
glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB + unit);
glBindTexture(m_target, m_glTextureName);

But when I try to access this texture in my fragment shader by calling

colorOverlay = texture2D(textureOverlay, vec2(gl_TexCoord[0].st))

I get only black back. Even when I change the gl_TexCoord[0] to gl_TexCoord[4].

Do I forget something?

Do I forget something?

Probably!
“Binding A Texture”
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/index.php/GLSL_:_common_mistakes

Omg I’m stupid

When I actived my texture I had the old check on max texture units. Basically returning when its more then GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS.

Well you understand … :o

All solved now!

Regards & Thanks,

Ronald

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.