3dnow support for Linux

I am a college student taking a open gl class. I would like to use the 3dnow instructions for my athlon. Is there a header or library i need to do this. Or does open gl use the 3dnow instructions already. Any help would be greatley appreciated.

3d now instructions are an extension to the x86 assembly language, there is no header file to use them, and i dont think any of the openGL implementations use them either (mesa might, look for a flag in the configure script that compiles with 3d now extensions)

basically, to use them, you have to use assembly (you can integrate assembly into c code with the asm keyword). if you do not know x86 assembly, you will not be able to optimise for 3dnow. if you really want to use them, learn x86 assembly, then go to amd’s website, and download their 3dnow spec (it should be on there somewhere).

Thanks for your reply. I have been searching all over the web for a week. I do know SPARC assembley but not x86, so i dont think i will be in such good shape to do this.

Thanks again.
Ira

…and i dont think any of the openGL implementations use them either

If you use NVIDIA drivers, they do use 3dnow, both on windows and linux.

-Lev

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.