2D in OpenGL

Good evening,

I’m after some sites that discuss 2D graphics using OpenGL. I’m interested in programming a shootemup and will be using OpenGL for all the rendering, as opposed to DX which I hate with a passion. If anyone has some resources discussing 2D games rendered with OpenGL, let me know. Thanks in advance!

Hi !

Most game oriented websites has forums and information about this (www.gamedev.net and so on), it’s not much to it, use orthographic projection and set all Z coordinates to 0.0 or use the *2i/*2f/*2d functions.

Mikael

OpenGL really makes a 2D shooter easy’s.

You use the Z for creating layers, something like this.
Z = 0 = ground
Z = 1 = ground level objects
Z = 2 = above ground
Z = 3 = Scores, lives, etc.

You can use textured quads like sprites, just lot’s of stuff you can do and openGl takes care of a lot of it.

Originally posted by BloodMoney:
[b]
Good evening,

I’m after some sites that discuss 2D graphics using OpenGL. I’m interested in programming a shootemup and will be using OpenGL for all the rendering, as opposed to DX which I hate with a passion. If anyone has some resources discussing 2D games rendered with OpenGL, let me know. Thanks in advance![/b]

I’m going to use 3D models (3D Sprites) for enemies/projectiles/ship addon’s and the main ship itself. OpenGL looks like a good choice.